Tuesday, September 22, 2009

27 weeks - 13 weeks until due date!

The countdown continues from when I go from pod to mom.  Pretty crazy to think about being someone's mom.  I never thought that would be something I would want or like.  But, more times than not, I am looking forward to it.  Actually, that may be a bit ambitious.  I don't know if I am looking forward to it necessarily since I don't know what being a "mom" means.  I don't feel like one now and never thought I would be one so the thought is a bit abstract to me.  But I have a great role model to follow (my mom) and I have some practice with Tay.  So we shall see.

I am looking forward to adult time again.  Or, should I say, adult beverages!  Summer was tough because a cold, frosty beer on the patio watching the sunset ran through my mind almost nightly.  With fall and winter approaching, a nice rum and diet coke beckons the ol' taste buds.  Not much longer now.

I am so disappointed in myself tonight.  I made this beautiful, big pot of vegetable soup for dinner but snacked on Sun Chips and a string cheese while I was fixing it.  Now I am too full to eat the veggie soup which would have been so much healthier for me.  What is wrong with me??  I have really gone off the deep end with my cravings for sugary candy and salty chips.  BOO on bad food!  I did buy a bunch of fruits and veggies at Sprouts (which is like a Whole Foods or Sunflower Market) and have had quite a bit of fruit for snacks.  And I didn't really eat too bad earlier in the day.  But I really need to get on track with my eating.  I don't eat a lot because I get full too quick but the quality of food has to change.  Especially since I have a hard time remembering to take my prenatal vitamins.  Geez, not such a great mom right now, huh??

To top it off, my exercise routine has dwindled to a snail's pace.  I couldn't tell you the last time I was at the gym.  Now that the mornings and evening are cooling off, it may be time to figure in a walk - maybe two - a day.  Once in the morning and once in the evening.  I have hand weights here at home so maybe I can factor that into my schedule as well.  I want to keep my arms toned.  But I am staying active - mostly walking up and down our steps about 100 times a day to clean.  I find that I move a bit slower and get winded a bit easier.  So strange to see what your body goes through!  I used to run/sprint three miles and barely break a sweat and still carry on a conversation.  Now I walk up the stairs and have to catch my breath before talking to T.

I definitely feel front heavy and, when the load shifts, I can tell!  My stomach feels like it cannot expand another inch.  I am just waiting for it to rip straight across.  It gets so tight - especially after I eat - that it hurts.  And I still have 13 weeks to go.  Right now Cashew is only about 2 lbs.  It may get up to 6 or 7 pounds before this is all over with!  Where will it go?  I think I am running out of room already!

Cashew has been VERY active.  Usually in the mornings, after my midday snack and a lot at night!  I can see my stomach contort into different shapes and you can watch it move like the ocean when Cashew is in full swing.  It is truly odd and something that, like the bad mom I am, kinda freaks me out.  It's a little gross to watch and feel.  But I know it is a good thing and that's just what happens.  So I just try not to watch and keep my mind focused on something else.

The other night, T and I went to dinner.  While we were there, I got a BIG kick in the...well...butt!  I don't know what happened but Cashew kicked something that made me feel like I had to go to the bathroom.  And it wasn't the pee spot (as I call it) that he/she kicked.  It was like it was kicking my butt from the inside.  So weird!  Haha!  I jumped and got a funny look on my face, I guess, because T asked me what happened and if I was ok. 

Tomorrow is my glucose screening.  We are going to try and go first thing in the morning to get it over with.  Different people say different things about what you should and shouldn't do to prepare for the test.  Some say you should fast the night before, some say no carbs/sugar the day before, some say to eat a healthy protein packed breakfast the day of...I don't know who to believe.  Basically, there is nothing you can do to pass the test other than hope your body is functioning correctly as a pod.  I am keeping my fingers crossed, checking my karma and hoping beyond hope that I will pass this test!!  It is bad enough that I have to drink some nasty sugary gunk and then wait an hour before the vampires come out of their caves to take my blood.  But, if I fail this test, I will have to do the same thing but have my blood taken on the hour for three hours.  I think I will run away to Mexico or something before I do that!!  If I believed in hell, that would be it!  So keep positive thoughts coming my way...

I am super excited that I will be back home in Louisville in NINE DAYS!!  I am looking forward to seeing my family, experiencing fall (after three years of no fall), maybe seeing some leaves turn, visiting with old friends and just being home.  Louisville is therapeutic for me.  When I step off the plane into the airport, it is like walking into a big hug.  It is home for me and always will be.  I think I may have always taken it for granted until I moved way out here.  Home is home.  And Louisville is HOME.  I just wish that T could come with me as well.  We decided it would just be me for this trip to save some dough.  Flights aren't cheap right now and we want to save our miles for some adult time trips post baby.  So it will be just me on this trip.

When I return from Louisville, time is going to tick a little faster.  We are going to do the pumpkin patch on October 11, we are planning some fun Halloween activities with friends over the next several weekends.  We are having T's family over for dinner on the 24th and wearing our costumes, then there is Halloween.  Our child birth classes start in October and roll into November followed by a few other classes we registered for.  November will be getting Christmas shopping and crafting done, a Tucson shower and then Thanksgiving.  Next thing you know we will be in the beginning of Dec and getting the house decorated.  With all of that, I think the time may fly a bit.  Which is fine by me.

27 week pic:
Photobucket

Cashew as a veggie:
Photobucket

Per babycenter.com:
This week, your baby weighs almost 2 pounds (like a head of cauliflower) and is about 14 1/2 inches long with her legs extended. She's sleeping and waking at regular intervals, opening and closing her eyes, and perhaps even sucking her fingers. With more brain tissue developing, your baby's brain is very active now. While her lungs are still immature, they would be capable of functioning — with a lot of medical help — if she were to be born now. Chalk up any tiny rhythmic movements you may be feeling to a case of baby hiccups, which may be common from now on. Each episode usually lasts only a few moments, and they don't bother her, so just relax and enjoy the tickle.

That's the latest from pod-ville.  I will give an update on the GD screening after my torture tomorrow.  BLEH!

Dear Cashew,

I haven't written in a while but I think that's ok.  Supposedly, you can hear what's going on out here and can here me talking as well as Daddy.  So you pretty much know what's going on - you probably know more about the stock market as a fetus than most adults do, thanks to Daddy!  Haha!

I feel you tossing, turning, kicking, punching and shifting in there.  I said earlier that it is kinda gross in some ways because, if you think to much about it, well, it is just so crazy.  But I am sure it is much grosser for you in there!  Ick!  I am so glad that none of us remember those days!  But you seem to be liking your surroundings - or maybe you don't and that's why you are kicking.  Trying to get the heck out of there!  I know I would be totally clausterphobic in that tiny space with my legs and arms all curled up!  It's like flying coach on a small aircraft! 

Speaking of flying, you and I are heading to Louisville soon!  Nine more days!  If you could help a mama out, please try not to kick me in the bladder a lot while we are in the air.  The bathrooms are small and there are only so many times during the flight you can go.  So maybe kick higher or take a nap. 

The Grandparents are throwing us showers while we are there.  You probably don't care too much and, really, I don't care about the gifts too much.  But it will be so fun to see everyone.  I know they will be talking a lot about you - what you are (boy or girl), etc.  I don't think anyone expected me to have a baby so the shock factor is driving the attendance, I think!

Shortly after we get home from Louisville, Daddy and I will be starting our childbirth classes.  I am kinda glad that we are doing them because I want to be somewhat prepared in case I have a lot of pain during the hour drive to the hospital!!  Another favor, Cashew, please give me subtle warnings that don't hurt too bad until we get to the hospital.  Let Mommy get poked in the back and then you can have your way with my uterus (like you already seem to do).  Thanks in advance buddy!

I was very proud of you last Sunday during the Steelers game.  Although we didn't win, you were kicking and rolling like a regular ol' football fan!  Especially when Mommy would get excited (sorry for the one bad word that shot out at one point).  I think you liked our new jersey.  And, don't worry.  You will be able to show your colors immediately after birth!  I have three Steelers onesies so you can puke on two if there are bad calls and we still have another!

I feel you moving now.  Hello in there.  Sorry for the low quality dinner we had tonight.  I promise to do better for the rest of the week and the rest of the pregnancy.  I need you and the sweet tooth gene you HAD to have gotten from your Dad, to ease up on me a bit!  I will fight the urge to have sugary sweets and conquer the craving with a nice piece of fruit!  Starting tomorrow because I am not eating for the rest of the night tonight.

Tomorrow is a big test.  Neither of us can really prepare for it or do anything to help me pass.  But keep Mommy positive from the inside while Daddy does his best on the outside.  Whatever help you can muster would be GREAT!  You know how Mommy is with needles and blood draws.  And don't get mad at me when I drink the nasty gunk.  Not my idea!  But we will get through - I could just use your help if you have any to give!

Well, sleep tight Cashew - well, I know it will be a while before you sleep tonight.  You are usually still wide awake while I am trying to get to sleep.  Daddy will be home from his quick trip tonight so we will all be able to sleep together.  Then, let's get tomorrow over with and start looking even more forward to our trip home!

Love you already,
Mommy & Daddy

1 comment:

  1. Don't be too hard on yourself for being off your normal eating/working out routine. Your body is going through A LOT right now! I love this week's picture...I can see some progress in the um baby carrying spot... ;) Your the type of pregnant woman who you would have no idea from the back but then you turn and...there's your cute baby bump. I'm glad you have a lot scheduled in the weeks ahead to help pass the time. Before you know it BIG GIRL time will be here again! Woot, woot! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete