Friday, November 6, 2009

Is it a sign??

T and I went to our fourth childbirth class last night after "cutting" last week's.  I am sure glad that we did.  But I hope the subject of class isn't a sign of things to come.  The subject: C-Sections.

Class started with the on staff neonatalogist who talked a little about what he does, why we will see him and signs/symptoms of what to look for in baby post-delivery.  He also talked about circumcisions which, if our hopes are confirmed, we will need to know about as well.  It was pretty informative.

The rest of the class was about C-Sections.  Obviously I hope I don't have to have one but, after the wonderful ultrasound tech brought it up a couple of weeks ago and since there is NO WAY of knowing whether or not we would need one down the line, I was relieved that we were going to be talking about it. 

To be honest, it was pretty emotional listening to the details of the procedure, the fact that the baby is taken to the nursery during the first 30 - 45 minutes of your recovery and the amount of recovery time (and pain) it takes after the surgery.  But, even with small tears puddling in my eyes, I did realize that the surgery itself isn't THAT big of a deal.  It is a very small incision.  They move your stomach muscles instead of cutting through them (T was afraid that, if they cut through the muscle like we thought they did, I would have a harder time tightening up my abs at the gym - and he knew that would be upsetting for me).  And, as long as it isn't an emergency C-Section (which breech babies are not), you are awake the whole time and can see baby after it is born.  But you can't hold it.  That's kinda a bummer.  Daddy holds baby because your arms are strapped down...which kinda bothers my clausterphobic mind but I am sure we would make it through fine.

The only other thing that kinda sucks is that you have to stay at the hospital for 3 -4 days post surgery.  At least you can shower after about 8 - 10 hours post-surgery.  But I don't want to be stuck in the hospital that long when my family is in town.  Boo.  But, whatever must be done, must be done.  We shall see.

I walked out of class with a sense of calmness.  No book or Baby Story on TLC has made me feel this comfortable about a procedure.  Our instructor, Lolita, really knows how to reassure the women in class and make you feel that you can push through any of these procedures with flying colors.  It is good to have someone like that teaching unnerved pregnant women the ropes.

Anyway, I am so glad that we went and I am back to being so glad that we made the investment in these classes.  While some information is redundant, and some information I would learn upon arrival to the hospital, a lot of the information is very helpful!  I like knowing the details of the procedures so that I know what to expect.  I am a planner, don't you know?

I started thinking on the way home last night...maybe it would be better if I just stay pregnant.  Haha!  I thought about how safe and comfortable 'Shew is in there and being pregnant (at least the later part of 2nd and most of 3rd tri) hasn't been so bad, maybe they should just stay there!  But then there is the frosty cold beer that I miss and the fact that I can't work out like I used to...ok, birth it is.  But I am finding that being pregnant isn't so bad.  It sure takes forever and a day and you sure have to give up a lot but it is also a very interesting and exciting condition to be in.  I do hope that 'Shew decides to stay in for a while...even a little past my due date is ok...I have a lot to do before their arrival and before Christmas gets here!

Cashew has been pretty lazy since last night.  Not a whole lot of crazy movement.  I am not too worried (you are supposed to do "kick counts" if you don't feel them moving a lot but I think everything is fine).  I think Cashew is just tired like me.  Our clocks' have been off since we have had very little sleep so I think that's what is causing the quiet time.  Don't worry.  I still feel the occasional bump or roll.  As a matter of fact, I just did.  'Shew will probably be back in party mode tonight while we have movie night with Tay.  Whenever she lays close to me or puts her arm around my stomach, 'Shew goes pretty crazy.  He/she is either already jealous or they love their big sister already.  I like to think the latter.

I am trying hard to put on my StepMom hat today.  Tay has a half day of school today so we will be picking her up at 11 or so.  I am struggling to find the amount of energy I need to make it through an entire weekend of Tay.  Don't get me wrong.  She is a GREAT kid and I love seeing her.  It just takes a lot of energy and constant attention.  And I am running on fumes.  It is always fine once I am in the process but it is hard to look through right now.  And, yes my friends, I DO know that I will have to do this 24/7 in a few weeks.  I am fully aware.  Just having one of those days...

Guess that's the update for now.  Gonna go feed the 'Shew and I some Special K and a banana.  OH, by the way, I had NO chocolate or candies yesterday.  I am so proud of myself!  Willpower!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment