Tuesday, November 10, 2009

34 week update

I really can't believe I am at 34 weeks.  I know I say this for each update but here I go again...it seems like I have been pregnant forever but then it feels like time is just slipping away from me now!  I am going through the typical emotions of being anxious to meet Cashew, anxious to find out if Cashew has turned yet, anxious to get everything done for both Cashew's arrival AND Christmas, anxious to see my family and for them to see our house at Christmas, anxious to have my body back to normal, anxious not to pee all day and all night long (and occasionally during a big sneeze), anxious for a cold, frosty beer, anxious to get my Christmas gifts made, anxious to finish all shopping for Cashew and to get their room completely organized and ready for the new tenant, and anxious to get delivery and recovery over with.  Whew.  I didn't even say any of that out loud yet I am still out of breath and sweating as if I ran a marathon! 

As this BIG bundle of "joy" continues to grow in front of me, things about my body have certainly changed.  I haven't gotten a stretch mark...YET...but I am finding that, lugging around all of this extra weight, is really hard on my body.  Me, the one who could run 5 miles everyday at the gym at high speeds and on inclines now gets winded, and I mean completely out of breath, and dizzy every time I walk up the steps.  And that, my friends, is a lot!  Now add a heavy laundry basket to the equation and you can see what my latest work out routine is at this point! 

The dizziness is more frequent in the mornings after breakfast.  After my extensive google searching (and according to my doctor), I now know that this is due to sugar levels spiking as well as the circulatory system pumping overtime to accomodate for both Cashew and I.  So I really need to stay on top of my vitamins, move a lot slower (especially standing up after sitting for a while) and just sit down when I need to in order to stop the tilt-a-whirl in my brain.

I must admit that it is scary at times.  Sunday I felt so off kilter that I actually laid down on the bed and ended up taking a power nap while T and Tay read books.  Yesterday I got very light headed in the shower and tried to call out to T but he couldn't hear me all the way downstairs.  I really thought I might go down right there in the tub.  But I turned the water temperature down a bit and sat down on the edge of the tub to try and gain my senses.  It worked and I was able to get cleaned up and dried off but I still had to lay down on the bed to regain my strength.  Is age the culprit?  I seriously doubt it.  I think the biggest culprit is my forgetting to take my vitamins.  I took one last night after dinner and today has been much better.  So I am planning on keeping up the vitamins and then see if I have any other issues before my next doc appt.  If so, I will talk to Hutch about it more.  If not, then we know it was the lack of vitamins and nutrients.

Here's the deal - sidenote...I read in many places that prenatal vitamins are essential for a developing baby in the first trimester.  That's why "they" say to take them if you are trying to conceive and then, of course, while you are pregnant.  But, once you are out of first tri, the vitamins are more for the mom than the fetus.  The fetus WILL get what they need from anything and everything you eat and drink.  It will suck every bit of vitamins and nutrients from your body whether or not you may need them (they do say your life is no longer yours when you become a mom...this is where it starts).  So Cashew is probably taking every bit of iron and protein out of my system which isn't being replinished by vitamins (and I have found that I like eating meat even LESS than before I was pregnant so I am sure my iron levels are low).  So I will keep pumping my body full of vitamins and see if that helps keep my head straight.

I am also clumsy.  Running my stomach into doors, walls, counters, you name it.  It has gradually been growing there for quite some time but now, all of a sudden, it has become a magnet to everything around me.  And, as my luck would have it, everything that hits me hits me in the belly button.  Which is the one area that has always been strictly off limits from touching because it really sets a nerve loose inside of me.  I hate the feeling of being touched there.  But now my belly button is as flat as a pancake with no loose folds of skin to protect it.  And now it is being violated.  If not by the corner of the kitchen island, then by the ultrasound wand or fetal heart monitor wand.  It has a target around it and everything seems to be drawn to it! 

Heartburn has increased slightly and happens at the most random times.  Sometimes even when I haven't had a bite to eat!  Sometimes I won't have it all day and, when I decide I am going to lay down and try to sleep, it comes on like a volcano.  It hasn't been as bad as I have heard others talk about but it is very annoying when it is there.

Cashew is a constant mover.  There are times...and sometimes days...when the activity slows down or halts all together but most days it is pure disco fever in there.  Hiccups occur almost daily and sometimes more than once a day.  You can now see it on the outside of my stomach and you can tell it really irritates him/her.  They get pretty restless in there when they get the hiccups.

You can now feel "parts and pieces" bulging out here and there.  T makes me laugh so hard when he takes his hand and tries to determine what part he is feeling when, all of a sudden, Cashew will lash out at him or move that part all together.  T's face is priceless!  He says he really couldn't feel or experience these things with Tay because Tay's Mom was overweight while pregnant.  So he is really getting a kick (pun intended) out of this mystery part game.

I honestly don't think Cashew is head down yet.  I am trying not to worry since it may still take several weeks. I say this because I think I can feel where the head is and it is more on the side of my stomach than at the bottom.  But we will see what progress has been made at our next appt which will be Nov 16.

While the growing continues, T and I have been making some great progress on our Christmas shopping as well as getting the house (especially the bar and the refreshment fridge) stocked for my family!  I would guess that we have about half of our shopping done and, everything we have bought is wrapped!  I am a bit behind in making gifts but I still feel like I can accomplish my goal.  Or at least I am hoping to.  After my last shower this weekend, it will be nice to get all of the last minute items that we need for Cashew shopped for and done with...I am ready to just have everything done in that room so that it can be the last thing I need to stress about.

So, six more weeks (give or take) until B Day.  We bought Cashew their first Christmas present from Mommy and Daddy - a snoopy stuffed animal like the one I had when I was a baby.  The hormones flared during that purchase and I almost cried.  I was so touched for some reason.  I think we will be taking Snoopy to the hospital with us.

OH...and, just so you know, the boy's name has now become undecided again.  It is a toss up between two - both of which are included on the poll.  But T had a change of heart on the one we were set on so we will see what happens.  He said that Tay's Mom and him had the boy's name completely picked out when she was pregnant with Tay but that the girl's name was much harder to come by...so he thinks it could be a sign we are having a boy.  Haha!  Hmmm, so who will be the winner of the name game?  Vote if you haven't already!

Now to the details:
34 weeks - I look pretty casual today...no makeup, hair back, grubs on.  It was a house cleaning day and I just got out of the shower.  I only included my face because my Mom is not fond of the headless pod.  I look like I am being taken over or that I am trying to steal a beach ball from Walmart.

Photobucket

Babycenter.com
How your baby's growing:


Your baby now weighs about 4 3/4 pounds (like your average cantaloupe) and is almost 18 inches long. Her fat layers — which will help regulate her body temperature once she's born — are filling her out, making her rounder. Her skin is also smoother than ever. Her central nervous system is maturing and her lungs are continuing to mature as well. If you've been nervous about preterm labor, you'll be happy to know that babies born between 34 and 37 weeks who have no other health problems generally do fine. They may need a short stay in the neonatal nursery and may have a few short-term health issues, but in the long run, they usually do as well as full-term babies.

Next on the timeline of baby making:
Nov 12 - Final childbirth class
Nov 14 - Shower
Nov 16 - Appt with Hutch at 2:30
 
Dear Cashew,
I don't have a lot of time to write.  Daddy and I are about to take a walk and I have a project to work on before I start dinner tonight.  But we talk to you a lot so hopefully that helps.  We feel parts and pieces in there and hope we aren't bugging you when we feel around.  It is just really fascinating. 
 
You are growing so big already and so fast!  But, if you haven't already, I really need you to focus on getting that butt in the air!!  Get into dive position!  It is almost time.  Not much longer now.  We are all looking forward to meeting you and hope that we can make the process as easy as possible.  If there is such a thing.
 
Talk to you in a little bit while we push on your parts!  Remember this, Cashew, we will be pushing your buttons for many years to come!!!  And I am sure you will do the same to us!
 
We love you very much!
Mommy and Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment