Monday, November 16, 2009

35'ish week update...

I am cheating a little bit here.  I am technically not 35 weeks until tomorrow but, since my doc appointment was today (which gave me reason to put real people clothes on as well as makeup), I decided to go ahead and post an update today.  Which means there may not be an update tomorrow on the actual 35 week mark.  Let me rephrase...there won't be an update tomorrow.  As time rushes by and due date, Christmas, family in town draws nearer, my days are filling up more and more.  And I thought I was going to need projects to keep me busy and my mind off of things!  PSHT!!  Not so much!

Saturday I had my last and final baby shower.  It was very nice to see everyone and my sister-in-law and mother-in-law really did a nice job.  They made me a Steelers diaper cake that was amazing - I LOVE it!  I also loved the very tasty chicken salad sandwiches (I had left overs for dinner!) and the special cupcake with chocolate icing and reese cup bits sprinkled on top. 

Thanks to all of you who made it out to my shower.  It was so good to see friends - old and new!  I felt very lucky looking around the room.  As always at these type of gatherings, I don't feel like I was able to visit with everyone as much as I would have liked and I felt like the day went really fast.  But, just seeing my friends and family around me was so incredible!  I am a very lucky person!

Todd and I are very appreciative of the great gifts we received.  I am planning on taking some time this week to look through our registries as well as a checklist that was supplied in one of our child care books to see what we have left to buy.  Most of our larger items are covered so it should only be some smaller items to finish the initial supply.

Today was another doctor appointment with Hutch.  They are becoming more and more simple and routine as we go.  It starts with the pee in a cup routine which I did today as soon as I arrived.  All looks good there and I was so excited that I didn't get one ounce of pee on my hand!  However, and I am embarrassed to admit - I did drop the cup on the floor (it WAS empty but there were a few droplets in the bottom of the cup) instead of in the trash.  I am sure a drop made its way to the side of my shoe.  But it was closed toe!

Next comes the dreaded scale.  Much to my surprise, I have only gained .5 lbs over the last two weeks!  This is GREAT news and made me feel much better about the whole weight thing.  Especially since we had lunch on the way to the appointment (which included a burger, fries and a cookie!).  T had a good point.  The last weight gain may have been a growth spurt by baby.  Whatever the case, I am super excited that my weight is slowing down.  Much better scale experience this visit.

We usually wait for a good 30 minutes or so - which gives T time to make funny comments about the posters around the room - and then Hutch comes in.  Today she asked us how things are going, we made small talk and, other than some financial questions, we were good to go.  She asked me if I thought baby was head down and I told her I had no idea.  I feel movement EVERYWHERE so I can't tell what side is up or down.  She took a measurement of my uterus - right on target.  She listened to the heart beat - sounds great (actually higher this time at 147 after 130's last time...but this could have been due to the caffeine of the tea I had at lunch and the sugar cookie I had before the appointment!).  Then she felt around on top of my stomach to see if she could determine parts and pieces.  Up above my belly button she said it was either a butt or a head - she thinks it is a butt.  And then, down by my pelvis was either a butt or head - which she thinks is a head.  I am thinking that she might be right.  When baby gets hiccups, I feel them more towards my pelvis and not towards the top of my belly.  I would think that would be the case if the head was down.  But who knows.

Because it is hard to tell, our next appointment will include a sonogram to see where that head and butt is located.  That is two more weeks of wondering but I have decided not to stress about it.  It will be what it will be and it will all work out fine.  I am excited to get another sonogram!!  And this time it will take place with Hutch which is so nice.  I am so comfortable with her.  And it is good to know that she does C-Sections too, if it comes to that.  So that is comforting!  Anyway, our next appointment is Dec 1 at 2:45.  After that appointment, we go on the weekly plan.  An appointment every week.

How about some updates?

Per babycenter.com

How your baby's growing:
Your baby doesn't have much room to maneuver now that he's over 18 inches long and tips the scales at 5 1/4 pounds (pick up a honeydew melon). Because it's so snug in your womb, he isn't likely to be doing somersaults anymore, but the number of times he kicks should remain about the same. His kidneys are fully developed now, and his liver can process some waste products. Most of his basic physical development is now complete — he'll spend the next few weeks putting on weight. (D's note: good times...more weight!)

How your life's changing:
Your uterus — which was entirely tucked away inside your pelvis when you conceived — now reaches up under your rib cage. If you could peek inside your womb, you'd see that there's more baby than amniotic fluid in there now. Your ballooning uterus is crowding your other internal organs, too, which is why you probably have to urinate more often (sure do) and may be dealing with heartburn (yep) and other gastrointestinal distress (sorta). If you're not grappling with these annoyances, you're one of the lucky few.


From here on out, you'll start seeing your practitioner every week (this will start for us after our next appointment). Sometime between now and 37 weeks, she'll do a vaginal and rectal culture (YIKES) to check for bacteria called Group B streptococci (GBS). (Don't worry — the swab is the size of a regular cotton swab, and it won't hurt at all.) GBS is usually harmless in adults, but if you have it and pass it on to your baby during birth, it can cause serious complications, such as pneumonia, meningitis, or a blood infection. Because 10 to 30 percent of pregnant women have the bacteria and don't know it, it's vital to be screened. (The bacteria come and go on their own — that's why you weren't screened earlier in pregnancy.) If you're a GBS carrier, you'll get IV antibiotics during labor, which will greatly reduce your baby's risk of infection.


This is also a good time to create a birth plan (we aren't doing a formal birth plan - just simple communication with Hutch). Using our form will help you focus on specifics — like who'll be present, what pain management techniques you want to try, and where you want your baby to stay after you deliver. It will give you a starting point to discuss your preferences with your medical team. Childbirth is unpredictable, and chances are you won't follow your plan to the letter, but thinking about your choices ahead of time — and sharing your preferences with your caregiver — should take some of the anxiety out of the process.

35 weeks (tomorrow) - oh my, more growth.  And still 5 more weeks (give or take) to go!!
Photobucket

Am I tired?  Yes I am.  And some days more than others.  My energy level is taking a beating but I try to keep on going.

Heartburn?  Sometimes...not always and not too bad anymore.

Sleeping?  Wait, what's that?  Actually, there are good nights and there are bad nights.  I am trying to work on projects and stay up late (without falling asleep on the couch) so that I am tired when I get to bed.  Other than the 3 pee breaks a night, I feel like I am sleeping a bit better.

Uncomfortable?  Sometimes but not always.  Depends on what I am wearing, how I am sitting and what all I did that day.  But, overall I feel good - a bit front heavy but good.

Exercise?  We try to walk every night.  It feels great, especially with the weather the way it has been.  But, if we walk too fast (which isn't fast at all for most people), I feel like the baby is going to fall right out of my nethers onto the ground.  And I get crampy a bit too.

Any new symptoms?  Nope, not really.  Cravings are the same, eating pattern the same, everything pretty much the same.  Lots of baby movement and hiccups almost daily.

Next items on the calendar:
Nov 18 - Breastfeeding class (I will be going to this one alone - T is conveniently out of town haha!)
Nov 21 - Infant CPR class (T will be joining me in this one)
Nov 23 - 27 - T on vacay...we plan to finish up baby shopping and baby room prepping!
Dec 1 - Doc appt with sonogram (more pics!)

Dear Cashew,
Is that your butt we are feeling??  Doc thinks you may be head down which would be fantastic!  We will see for sure first of December.  Please be looking at my feet!  That would be so reassuring!

You have been very active lately and I think you are finally getting a little tired of the close quarters in there.  It has to be pretty tight.  I know my skin stretching around my stomach sure is!  I can't imagine how cramped it must be for you. 

A lot of our friends and family sure have hooked you up with some nice things!  You are getting spoiled already and you haven't even hatched!  And, a small admission.  Daddy and I have been just as guilty of the spoiling.  We bought you your first Christmas gift the other day.  I won't tell you what it is but it will be in the hospital with us - whenever you decide to make your appearance!  And who knows what Santa will bring you in your stocking! 

Big sis Tay is really excited to meet you too!  She has already shown Daddy and I how to change diapers by demonstrating on her dolls.  She is so eager to help us take care of you.  You will not be neglected - this is for sure.  As a matter of fact, you may be trying to find that hole you came out of so that you can go back to some peace and quiet.

Oh, speaking of peace and quiet...I am sorry for being so loud during the Steelers' game Sunday.  It was a tough game to watch and Mommy gets a little excited/irritated during her football.  But, don't worry, I will teach you all about it when you get here.  And then we can both scream at the TV together!

That's all for now, Cashew.  Everyday brings us a little closer to meeting face to face.  You are certainly keeping your identity a secret - not following any old wives tales to the T.  But that makes it so fun for Daddy and me.  We love you no matter what you are - as long as you are healthy!  And I mean that!

Love you so much already!
Mommy and Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment