Tuesday, October 27, 2009

32 weeks with ultrasound update

Where did the week go?  I feel like I just posted my 31 week update and here I am already at 32 weeks!!  Eight more weeks - give or take - until the big day!  I will take every bit of that time because I have plenty to do before I am ready to settle into a new mommy role!

Anyway, yesterday I was able to get the H1N1 shot thanks to my Step-MIL.  She was able to talk to her boss who gave her permission to have me come in.  They are only vaccinating pregnant women and really only their own patients.  But I was lucky enough to be able to go in for the shot.  And lucky enough to have Linda give it to me!  A BIG thank you to Linda, her boss and her entire staff!  It is such a load off of my mind.  I can't express enough how much I appreciate it.  The shot was painless and, other than a sore arm and a little fatigue (which actually could just be a pregnancy thing), I have no side effects from the shot.  And Cashew is still moving like crazy so it must not be an issue for them either.

Today we had a 32 week ultrasound.  A lot of women don't get ultrasounds past the 20 week mark but, maybe it is either my age or my doc, we were able to go sneak a peak at our little (not so little) Cashew today!  We were both pretty excited about the visit - which is at a different location than Hutch's office and is done by a specified ultrasound tech, not my doc.

This lady didn't have the best bedside manner, to say the least.  First of all, she barely spoke two words to us.  She started squirting the gel on my stomach when T finally started a conversation - "what are you looking for today?"  She responded that she was looking at the growth to see if everything was on target with my due date.  Sounds good to us.  We were just looking forward to seeing Cashew.

Well, nothing like really kicking everything off right than by saying "oh, the baby is in breech position."  I was like, WHAT?  I didn't know that this was a real issue at this point.  I am only at 32 weeks.  I said, "well, it has time to turn, right?"  And she said yes.  There is still time.  But all through our appointment, she kept mentioning C-Section.  I was taken aback.  Why are we talking about this right now?  And you aren't even my doctor!!  She kept minimizing it and saying how much prettier C-Section babies are and how much easier it is for the mom, etc.  I just kept laughing it off and reiterating the fact that I am only 32 weeks and that it can still turn!  UGH!  I was so bothered by this whole line of conversation.  It was hard to get past it to look at the awesome pics of our baby and have a nice, fun appointment.

But it was pretty cool.  At first, it is VERY hard to see what is what at this point.  The baby is approx 4 lbs at this point and it is too big to see a "baby" shape like it is at 20 weeks.  But she did give us a tour after she got the measurements she needed (which all show the growth as PERFECT at the 50 percentile mark (which means an average weight of 7 - 8 lbs).  We saw the kidneys, the heart, we could see the baby breathing!  That was very cool!  We saw legs, arms, head and, my favorite part, we saw the baby making sucking motions with its mouth!  It was awesome!  Just watching this baby that is inside of me moving its lips.  So cool! 

She showed us the umbilical cord cross section which was really cool to see and then she showed us a side view and you could see how the vessels twist around themselves.  It is so intriguing how all of that grows inside of you when you are pregnant.  It isn't there before but it is there now.  And it is moving around!  So cool!

All indicators say that we are right on schedule with the due date but baby could still come earlier...or later.  This doesn't determine anything other than the baby is growing perfectly and right on the timetable that it should.  This is such good news. 

When we got our pictures, T saw the face on shot and said he thought it kinda looked like a girl face.  I tend to agree to some degree but still holding out hope while wrapping my head around the thought of a girl (and, if it is a girl, please not a lot of pink...I can't take a baby all in pink clothes - YUCK!).  I still think it feels VERY boy to me but I could be totally wrong.  But I am still thrilled that we haven't found out!  What a great thing to work towards during labor (or surgery)!  And what a great moment for T to have with family and friends after Cashew is delivered.  I am so excited!  And I am VERY thrilled that Cashew is healthy and growing perfectly in there.

So, here are some pics.  Leave me a comment, email, or whatever and let me know what YOU think.  Does it look like a boy face, a girl face or just a Halloween mask? 

Me at 32 weeks (not much different than the maternity pic belly):
Photobucket

Cashew at 32 weeks:
Profile with mouth closed:
Photobucket

Profile with mouth open:
Photobucket

Face on shot.  Head is tilted to the right of the picture frame (the top of the head on the far right, move left to see eye sockets (dark spots), then nose, chubby cheeks and T's chin!)  I can't believe how kinked up its little neck is to get in a position like this.  Essentially, at the time of the ultrasound, Cashew's head was lying right under my left rib cage, back and butt on the right side of my belly and then feet down by my bladder.  That explains a lot. 

So, what does this face look like to you???
Photobucket

Next thing on our radar: Childbirth class #3 on Thursday

Dear Cashew,

Hello there baby!  I haven't written in a while since Daddy and I talk to you so often.  I feel like I will just be redundant by writing it all down in here. 

Today was a big day!  We were able to see you in there.  You are looking fantastic and I just can't get over those chubby cheeks!  I must warn you.  Those will be kissed a lot!  Be ready.  Enjoy the peace and quiet while you can.  It's all different out here!

We still don't know if you are a boy or a girl and I am still glad we are holding out.  But, as sure as we were that you were a boy, now we are having second thoughts.  Of course I just want you to be healthy but I am going to have to find a way to get used to the idea that you could be a girl.  I just can't promise you that I will drown you in pink garb.  I can't stand the color pink especially in that abundance!  You may be wearing more yellows, purples and even blues.  Blue is much more of a color that I can deal with for sure.  If you are a girl and I dress you in blue, I promise it will have some sort of girly look (maybe through accessories) so that no one confuses you for a boy.  If you are a boy, you will have it made with my preferred color choices.

Ok, here is where I need your help.  I know you probably enjoy the comfort of hearing my constant heartbeat which is why your head is lying below it.  Actually, that is just a cheesy Mommy thought.  But, in the next four weeks I really need you to start focusing on the task at hand.  Keep your eye on the prize...and that prize isn't up at my rib cage!  It is that small opening by your feet!  You looked like a proficient high diver at your 20 week ultrasound so just give some good flips to get yourself in diving stance!  I did some reading and investigating and know that, right now, you are fine rolling around in different positions.  Have fun!  But, in about four weeks or so, I need your head to be in the game (so to speak) and the game is not where you are right now.

In the meantime, just stay healthy and grow well.  Let's keep your birth weight in the 7 - 8 pounds which is where it looks like it will be and then let's strive to have a birth out the canal instead of under scary surgical lights!  Sound like a deal?  If you help me out, I will, in turn, look into getting you a nice (or at least a running) car when you turn 16 (pending Daddy's approval).  Let's make this easy for both of us!

Sure was great seeing you today.  You look adorable and we are very excited to meet you in a couple of months!

All our love,
Mommy & Daddy

1 comment:

  1. Hate to break it to you but I think you are giving birth to an alien. Kidding of course! =P What cute pictures!! It's crazy how there is an actual human inside of you!! I still think it's a boy...although that's just a feeling. Can't really tell based on the pictures...it's the wrong end!

    ReplyDelete