Friday, October 16, 2009

30 weeks: Slack attack!

I am usually so good at posting on THE day of my new week but I just didn't.  I don't have a real good excuse other than trying to catch up on chores through the murky waters of my brain.  I have been so run down lately.  I think it still stems from my trip home and then having something going on almost everyday since then.  I feel like the weeks are just flying by!  And I feel that I am not doing a very good job keeping up with the house even though T says that I am. I certainly could do better.  I really need to get the bathrooms done.

Anyway, as I post this, I am 30 weeks, 3 days.  If you do the math you will see...I am less than 10 weeks from my due date (give or take).  This is really starting to become real.  In a few days I will be counting down weeks with single digits.  YIKES!  That is enough to make anyone have a slight panic attack!  Not only are we counting down to baby poop hitting the fan, we are also counting down to Christmas and to my family being in town.  I am actually VERY glad that I have so many distractions towards the end so that I won't make myself crazy counting the minutes and seconds until my due date (or induction date if I am late).  I want my mind completely occupied so that I don't agonize over getting a large head out of a small hole or when and if my water will break today...or today....or today....

So back to symptoms and such.  I am still having some potty issues but not as bad as I was.  Not sure what changed it but I am not complaining.  I am still leaking a bit (MOOO) and have been experiencing more ligament pain than I have in previous trimesters.  This pain is due to my uterus getting larger and pulling the ligaments that hold it in place.  Women experience it at all different stages in pregnancy...I happen to be experiencing it more lately.  Especially if I get up too fast or twist as I get up.  BAD NEWS! 

Movement is still happening.  Mostly at night.  I can almost feel small little "waking up" movements around 6:30 with the disco party starting at around 7:30.  T can see my belly move and contort into fun shapes and he loves asking Cashew to kick his hand when he lays it on my stomach.  And it just so happens that he/she usually does and right in the spot where his hand is.  I love seeing T's eyes light up.  It really is priceless.

Ok, you can put the barf bags down now.  I will switch off the sappy and move forward.  Other symptoms include very nasty heartburn and indigestion.  The lovely stomach bile that finds its way up your throat so that you can have a slight taste of the inside world.  This usually happens the worse at night.  Tums nor the suggested plain ice cream helps this for me at all.  I just suck it up (literally at times) and deal with it.  Does this mean I limit my spicy intake?  Come on people.  Of course not!!!  But my heartburn isn't selective.  Spicy isn't the only culprit.  Hell, a bagel with cream cheese can do it.  It doesn't matter much.  So I eat whatever.

My chocolate/sweets intake has gone down a bit - thankfully.  I am trying to eat well but I find myself eating things that comforted me in first tri - cheese sandwiches, PB&J, soups, etc.  We have been eating pretty crappy this past week because of having so many things going on.  But today is grocery day and I am hoping to make some better (read: healthy) meals for us next week. 

I need to get back to taking my prenatal vitamins.  Go ahead and gasp now but I haven't taken them in a while.  They truly make me sick to my stomach (whether I eat beforehand or not) and, honestly, my pregnant brain doesn't remember to do it.  I have read that the vitamins are more for Mom than for baby at this point.  The baby is getting what it needs from being wired to my gut so I am the one that is getting deprived of the benefits of the vitamins.  I am going to try and take them to see if it improves my energy level.  It needs a REAL adjustment!

I have washed all of Cashew's clothes that we have at this point and put them away.  I have found a perfect place for the whale bathtub in the downstairs closet (knowing that we will probably use the kitchen sink for bath time at first).  The bottles have a home in one of the kitchen cabinets and the towels/washcloths are all washed and put away.  Everything is as organized as it can be at this point.  And, I still don't think I am "nesting."  I am just doing my usual obsessive organizing!

We had our first childbirth class last night.  As we walked through the hospital garage with our three huge pillows and blanket, I wondered if this was really going to be a waste of time or not.  As we entered the class, we noticed that there was actually no place to put our pillows...that's because we don't even need them until the last class!  Haha!  Well, no one knew - the whole class looked like we were going to a slumber party!

Our instructor, Lolita something, is really nice.  She has a thick accent from Peru (but she grew up in Argentina) and had T and I chuckling with the way some terminology was pronounced.  Especially "wagina".  But she is VERY funny and has no problem talking about anything.  We had fun listening to her and we actually did learn a lot (including the fact that some people like to look at the placenta and the aminotic sac after the birth...we were told that Hutch really likes showing off the sac that the baby was in...hmmm, I may need to talk to her about that..ICK)!  The other couples in class were pretty cool.  Our whole row had the same due date as ours.  Most everyone knew the sex of their babies (geez, doesn't anyone like a surprise anymore??) and the couple next to us has the same doc as us. 

One funny moment was after class...we were heading back to the car to go home in the mass of the others leaving as well.  I made a pit stop at the restroom close to the entrance for the "just in case" pee. Turns out other women had the same idea.  When I came out of the bathroom, there were three manly men (including mine) standing in the hallway with three big pillows and a blanket.  I'm not sure why...but it made me laugh out loud. 

I am truly thankful that we are taking these classes.  It is a fun night for us and it turns out to be quite educational as well.  I am not one to predict how my labor will go - I will NOT do a birth plan knowing that those who will be on my southern side will be doing their jobs and that's the only plan I need - but having some knowledge of how contractions work, how to time them, how to TRY and relax, could be helpful as we live about an hour away from the hospital.  Not to mention making friends in the meantime!  And, the added benefit of this class over reading a book or watching a video?  The questions of others!  Very beneficial.

They are not paying me to advertise the benefits of the classes but I do highly recommend them to my future pregnant friends!!  =]

Next steps:
Monday, October 19 - OB appointment
Thursday, October 22 - Childbirth class #2
Saturday, October 24 - Maternity pics
Tuesday, October 27 - 32 week ultrasound (YAY!)

Babycenter.com
How your baby's growing:

Your baby's about 15.7 inches long now, and she weighs almost 3 pounds (like a head of cabbage). A pint and a half of amniotic fluid surrounds her, but that volume will decrease as she gets bigger and takes up more room in your uterus. Her eyesight continues to develop, though it's not very keen; even after she's born, she'll keep her eyes closed for a good part of the day. When she does open them, she'll respond to changes in light but will have 20/400 vision — which means she can only make out objects a few inches from her face. (Normal adult vision is 20/20.)

Photobucket

And then, me, my bump and I:
Photobucket

Now on to filling out beginnings of the baby book...

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your class! And that seems crazy to me that so many people have the same due date as you! I mean I know multiple people have babies every day in this town but to all be in the same class at the same hospital?! Seems like a lot to me! Hopefully you and the other lady who shares your doctor don't go into labor at the same time...you'll have to tell your doctor that you get dibs! haha And what do you mean you don't want to see all the "stuff" that comes out? You should have a video camera going! =P

    ReplyDelete